The presence of a synagogue in Jericho is something of an anomaly as there has never been a Jewish community here. In the 19th century there would perhaps have been little to attract Jewish residents to the area and few opportunities for employment. The first indications of Jewish settlement in Oxford since the 1290 Expulsion of the Jews by Edward I came in 1841 when a synagogue is recorded in Paradise Square. This part of Oxford has been rebuilt and the College of Further Education stands on the site. There was also a synagogue in St.Aldates in 1847 and 1871 but it is unclear whether it was in continuous use. The first settled home for a synagogue was when it moved into Worcester Place in 1878. The final move into a disused lecture hall at the end of Richmond Road came in 1893.
Jewish immigration into the United Kingdom and Oxford
increased enormously in the years up to the Second World War, many immigrants
being former members of German universities. They did not settle in Jericho
which was very run-down at the time. It was not until well after the war
when the number of Jewish students at the University and technical colleges
was growing that a new synagogue was rebuilt on the same site in 1974.
This modern building was much bigger and contains a large student and
In 2004, the The Oxford Synagogue and Jewish Centre underwent a further £1.5 million redevelopment, adding a new buildingt to offer facilities for young people as well as a library and meeting room.
Oxford Synagogue is fairly distinctive in that it brings together all denominations of Judaism. Although it does serve the needs of some local people, most of the 80 to 100 people who come to services on a Saturday morning are from other parts of Oxford—the nearest alternatives are in Maidenhead and Reading.
As a result there has been little identification with
the local residents although the congregation has at times contributed
financially to local causes. Nor has there been any conflict with the
largest immigrant communities now living in Jericho which is Muslim, consisting
of Pakistanis since the 1947 Partition, Ugandan Asians evicted by Idi
Amin and Lebanese refugees. The Lebanese restaurant at the junction of
Walton Crescent and Richmond Road is also the Lebanese social centre.